thesocialpotato

The Social Potato Reviews

Reviews, news, and giveaways. Blog is http://thesocialpotato.maryfaye.net

Infinite
Believe
Sarah Aronson
Countdown
Michelle Rowen
The Archived - Victoria Schwab There's no bitter feeling like the feeling of disappointment. When I opened and started this book, it was with high expectations, especially since over the weeks before its release, I've seen and read raving reviews about it left and right, giving me the impression it's more than just any ordinary read. So imagine my dismay when I turned the last page, it left me feeling... nothing. Ok, the author has a knack for writing. She's good at it, that much I admit. But behind the colourful words and intricately written proses, are a plot and a set of characters that left behind a bland, dull, cardboard-like taste in my mouth. It's kind of hard to explain, but let's wing it as usual, shall we?

Let's just say the overall premise could've been much more. The book boasts of an incredibly imaginative world called The Archive, where the dead are shelved like books. When they die, they sleep here, and what remains is simply a History. However, why they are shelved so, is not thoroughly explained. There are librarians that keep these Histories in check, and Keepers who hunt Histories who got to go out. But unfortunately, due to what I deem as poor plot development and dragging escalation of events, this imaginative world quickly becomes oh-too-forgettable. In my opinion, the world's potential wasn't fully explored, and quickly became a mere background.

But the plot's not at fault here. It's the main character. The story is seen in the eyes of Mackenzie, a teenage Keeper who inherited her role from her grandfather. Due to certain circumstances, she got this role a little bit early than usual. She and her parents moved in to the Coronado, a hotel-turned-apartment an hour from her home, mainly to escape from the things that remind them of Ben, their now dead brother and son. However, throughout the story, our heroine, who was described as strong-willed and brave by her grandfather, kept brooding on her brother's unfortunate death. In short, too much angst for my life.

Her actions pretty much revolved around Ben. At first, it evoked feelings of sympathy from me, but when chapter upon chapter were all about her guilty feelings for not having done differently that could have reversed the circumstances, it can get pretty damn annoying. Yeah, I know, people grieve differently, but when your stupid actions affect other people already, maybe it's time for a reality check. Because of this, she felt so one-dimensional. The side characters were the same way as well, and it was only Wesley, the "Guyliner", who gave colour to the book. Aside from being too bland, the constant wallowing in of self-loathing made the book too slow. Yeah, it does catch up after fifty percent, but it was still too slow for my tastes. There was too much internal narration saying the same things over and over, and too much details about, well, everything. The book wouldn't have gone any different if these things were cut by half.

It still gets three stars from me, though. Why? Well, for starters, the mystery aspect to this was enjoyable. It was fun reading about the Coronado's dark past despite the very slow pace. Wesley was fun to read, and Roland, the strict yet lenient mentor, was my favorite. The steady romance was a plus as well. But so far, that's the only positives I've seen, and as for the next book, I may read it just to see how the rest of the series will go.

Read more of my reviews over at The Social Potato!
The Social Potato Reviews