thesocialpotato

The Social Potato Reviews

Reviews, news, and giveaways. Blog is http://thesocialpotato.maryfaye.net

Infinite
Believe
Sarah Aronson
Countdown
Michelle Rowen
Mark of the Princess (The Kingdom Chronicles) - B.C. Morin The author sent me a copy of her book in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my review in any way.

Let me just start off by saying that I love faeries. They're one of my favorite paranormal figures out there and I would never, ever get tired of them. I also associate them with elves, and they're often the characters I pick in fantasy-themed MMOs. Knowing the nature of this book was about a work of faeries and powers and good vs. evil, I was looking forward to reading it a lot. However, it kinda fell short...

There's nothing wrong with the story per se. The premise, while predictable and maybe common, was still something one would find joy to read. Let me just say the writing disappointed me and it made it hard for me to consume the novel. Dialogues were thrown left and right without any substantial narration, making conversations awkward and a little too fast. As an example, this guy named Velius was invited to dinner in Kaleb's kingdom, he asks a few questions, the King gets angry, he leaves, Kaleb says something, and everyone is happy again.

"Why are you asking such atrocious questions!"
"Oh, I'm sorry, I did not mean to offend, I'll be on my way now..."
"What do you think of him, Kaleb?"
"I know that he is not what he seems."
"Right! A toast to the future king!"

That's non-verbatim, by the way, but it kinda went like that... except that all that tension, the escalation of feelings and chain of events happened in one page. Huh. When I read a story, I look forward to the narration first and foremost because that's the only way for me to get to know and become invested in a character. Suffice to say, while the characters seemed interesting, they felt dull and awkward to me due to the lack of descriptions, lack of background stories, lack of narrative... because of this, it took me quite a while to finish it because I would pause and would rather read another book. I also had an issue that there were few "problems" in this book. You have a one big evil Maligo, and the rest are happy, good elves. No political dilemmas, either, which would have been perfect in a fantasy setting with 5 kingdoms. :/ Everyone accepted each other, everyone loves each other... mmm.

This is not to say the book is all that bad. It is. It's a good story, but it just didn't work out for me, because I look for elements that I feel are standard in a fantasy novel but they unfortunately were not there. If you look around, you'll see a lot of glowing reviews, and that's proof that there are others who enjoy it. The writing also just didn't feel right to me that made me shy away.