thesocialpotato

The Social Potato Reviews

Reviews, news, and giveaways. Blog is http://thesocialpotato.maryfaye.net

Infinite
Believe
Sarah Aronson
Countdown
Michelle Rowen
Porridge and Cucu: My Childhood - Yolanda A.  Reid Can be seen on The Social Potato.

Disclaimer: A free copy of the book was sent to me by the author in exchange for an honest reviews. This, however, did not influence my review in any way.

If there's a word that can fully describe this book, it's this: REFRESHING. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much at all, especially with a book less than 150 pages. But man, did it prove me wrong! It wasn't perfect, but it was definitely a stimulating read. Yes, it's quite different from novels out there, but it's a good kind of different. It's unique and extraordinary.

I think what made this book interesting was that there was no real big plot. We simply follow and read excerpts of Yamila's childhood and life in Panama and in the US. Each chapter had 2-3 anecdotes, all of them short but sweet. As for the narration, the prose was beautiful and realistically written. It was poetic, but at the same time, easy to understand. From a reader's standpoint, I could tell that the internal narration was written in such a way that it portrayed effectively how a four or five year old girl would think and reflect. I particularly loved how the author depicted Yamila's fears and insecurities, such as her feeling of getting a lack of attention after her younger brother, Romulo, was born; and how she felt left out in school activities because she was a year younger.

It is not a guarantee that this book will work for everyone, but it worked for me because it was really different. I enjoyed it tremendously that I wanted to read it slowly so that I could absorb it more. There are a few reasons why I didn't give this a 5 out of 5, though:

1.) I felt that Part I was better than Part II. Part 1 is basically Yamila's life, while Part II focused on her grandfather's brothers. While the second part was finished, it didn't hold me as much as Part I did, but nevertheless, they were great reads.

2.) At the beginning, there were a lot of awkward phrases, missing commas, and change of tenses. But they quickly disappeared after a chapter or two, though, so it's not that big of a deal.

All in all, it was a pleasant read. I wish there was more, though! It was too short! A mere 141 pages isn't enough! Would I recommend it? Yes! It's something I'd recommend to people who need a change of pace, or to people who want a feel-good story with little to no drama.