thesocialpotato

The Social Potato Reviews

Reviews, news, and giveaways. Blog is http://thesocialpotato.maryfaye.net

Infinite
Believe
Sarah Aronson
Countdown
Michelle Rowen
A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight, #1) - Lisa M. Basso Can also be read on The Social Potato

I would like to give a huge thank you to Netgalley and Month9Books, for providing a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my review in any way.

Okay, first things first - the cover. My god, it's so beautiful. Who edited this? Someone give him a promotion right now! The colors are absolutely mesmerizing! This has got to be one of the best covers I've seen. The model is beautiful, too, and the overall package totally gives that... angel vibe.

Let me just say that I've read a lot of angel books this year, and unfortunately, not many of them worked for me. However, those that did stand out were really good - solid plot, effective villains, awesome characters - and as luck would have it, A Shimmer of Angels, Lisa Basso's debut work, was one of those few. A tormented, angst-filled teenager named Rayna who can see angels, two stunning and captivating angels fighting for her AND alongside her, an evil antagonist coming all the way from the pits of hell - what else could you possibly ask for?

With that said, I absolutely LOVED the book. I wasn't supposed to read it so soon, since I had something else before it, but I was out and didn't have my iPad with me. Since I NEED to read something, in or out of the house, I got comfortable with my kindle and started to read it. Needless to say, it was love at first sight. I got into it so much that I just had to finish it even after I got home. In any case, it was a good, and fast-paced read. The characters were charming and interesting, the premise was well-constructed and the writing was very impressive, especially for a debut work! The internal narration was formulated so well that it was able to capture Rayna's emotions - her fears, her insecurities, and her worries - in all their raw emotion glory!

Of course, the question now is - why a 4 out of 5? Why not... well... 5 stars?! Hmm, let's just say that Rayna was quite annoying at the beginning. She's one of the sensible heroines out there, true that, but man, she did a lot of things that made me want to pull my hair because of frustration! For example, she was being accused by her best friend, Lee, that she hooked up with a douchebag. Of course, this wasn't true, but how could she tell him what actually happened? So what did she do? Well, like any other Mary Sue heroine, she decided to let him think whatever he wants, even if what he was presuming was far from the truth.

Um, no. Just no. Have some common sense, girl. He's your only friend left and all you're doing is alienating him from you. WTF. How hard could it be to just say "No, that's not true. You know that I wouldn't do that. Do I seem like that kind of girl to you?" instead of staying quiet and mumbing, "I... I... I..." *facepalm* There were also few instances where Rayna became too angsty for me to tolerate. I like angst - it presents one's frustrations towards the world, and it's really interesting to read about it, but if overdone, it can become very annoying. Her constant blabbering about how she didn't want to go back to the institution, or how angels weren't real (even though she had enough proof that they were real), got too much after a while. I felt like throwing the book every time she went emo, BUT, thankfully, this didn't last. Things got really interesting and thrilling halfway through the book with talks of fallen angels and hell. Oh, and off course, the love triangle. Although it's too subtle to call it that at this point. Meet Camael and Kade, one an angel with white, glowing wings as bright as the sun, and the other with wings as black as the night. Both hot. Both captivating.

It's still not certain who Rayna will end up with at this point. Usually, the guy introduced first gets the girl, but I'm not too sure! I like Kade a lot. He's funny, snarky and more real than Cam, who seemed very... distant and held back? That's prolly because of his angel duties, but still!!! I'm SO #TeamKade!!

In any case, this book was really good, and I'd recommend it to all paranormal/angel lovers out there! I can't wait until it's finally released! I'll surely buy a physical copy!