thesocialpotato

The Social Potato Reviews

Reviews, news, and giveaways. Blog is http://thesocialpotato.maryfaye.net

Infinite
Believe
Sarah Aronson
Countdown
Michelle Rowen
Parallel Visions - Cheryl Rainfield Thanks, Netgalley and Rain and Sun Press for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for a review. This did not influence my review in any way.

I'm kind of torn, to be honest. I like this book mainly because the premise is really interesting. Imagine yourself having the ability to see bits and pieces of the past and of the future, but at the expense of your health. Our main character, Kate, has such abilities, but they only happen when she gets into asthma attacks that oftentimes end badly. The fact that the heroine is someone who can be so powerful and so vulnerable at the same time is intriguing and fascinating, and the author was able to capture that essence in this novel.

However, overall, the reading experience felt a bit rushed. Kate's voice is definitely smooth and a pleasure to read, but they weren't enough. I guess this is to be expected from a short novel, but it could definitely have used more internal monologue to make things more personal. There were simply many things happening, but they all happened too fast for my liking. Dialogues were thrown left and right without any substantial narrative that it just felt weird and choppy. The romance, on the other hand, also felt rushed.

I understand that this book was probably meant for another audience, perhaps reluctant readers. If that's the case, then it would definitely be a good book for them.

Overall, I liked the novel, despite its flaws that influenced my experience. 3 out of 5.