thesocialpotato

The Social Potato Reviews

Reviews, news, and giveaways. Blog is http://thesocialpotato.maryfaye.net

Infinite
Believe
Sarah Aronson
Countdown
Michelle Rowen
Wasteland - Susan Kim, Laurence Klavan If you read the synopsis of this book, you can see it gives a lot of promise. A dystopian world? Check. Post-apocalyptic? Check. Shady characters and possible conspiracies?! DOUBLE CHECK! If you're like me, then you probably got super excited, imagining a book that will ultimately blow your mind. But before you get too thrilled, I must say this now: this book, unfortunately and sadly, is nothing but a disappointment. A huge, flat disappointment. In fact, if there's anything that Wasteland is, this is it: a waste.

I really don't like giving 1 star ratings and reviews. But it needs to be said. Wasteland joins the huge pile of books that could've had a great premise if it weren't for its bad execution. And when I say bad, I actually mean horribad. Here's why:

Problem #1: Horrible world-building.

Ok, if you're going to a do book that's in a post-apocalyptic dystopian setting and society, then you better have done your research and planned out explanations on how this screwed-up world came to be; otherwise, you leave your readers with nothing to visualize and no idea of the backstory. This is what happens here. We're told that adults have all died, and only children and teenagers have the capabilities to exist, but only until the age of nineteen (But how? Why is this so?). There are also hermaphrodites or "mutants", as they call them, that live amongst these kids (But how? Why is this so? What made them mutate and become as such?). We are told that the rain is dangerous and can kill you, and that the sun has become even hotter, resulting to much difficulties (Why did they become so? In fact, what was the apocalypse in the first place?!).

These are only some of the questions you'll find yourself asking once you start this book, and trust me, those don't even cover half of them. Readers are given little to no explanation with regards to world-building, making it hard (for me, anyway) to appreciate this novel. I know - it's fiction, and we gotta suspend our disbelief, right? But in my opinion, there's a standard when it comes to writing post-apocalyptic books. There's a reason why the world became so. There's a reason why everything degraded that resulted to this kind or that sort of dystopian society. If all I'll get are a shaky, passing sentence here and a vague mention there, then forget it, you're not getting anything more than 2 stars from me. It is because of awesome world-building that books like the Lunar Chronicles become really popular, since a proper execution of such would give readers a sense of a new world full of tension but also possibilites. Leave that out and you might as well have given us a blank page.

Problem #2: Horrible characters

Characterization is horrible. If you're not into simple-minded, one-dimensional, whiny, stupid, and foolish characters, then turn around and run as fast as you can away from this book, because this particular one is full of them! No one stood out, no one gave anything new to the plate, no one was any bit interesting. It was all the same old, same old, rehashed formulas. We have Esther, the main character and the main contributor to the huge headache this novel gave me. She's fifteen, and is in that stage of being rebellious just, well, for the heck of it. She keeps on whining how everyone else in town doesn't treat her with respect, how they isolate her for being such a freeloader, when in truth, she is a freeloader and is always breaking the rules. :| She does this all the freaking time, going pseudo "philosophical" and then whining about it.

Um, hello?! If I were them, I'd give you the cold shoulder, too, loser! In my opinion, she got what she deserved :|The rest of the characters weren't that good as well. All of them lacked depth, making them very simple. What makes these individuals a huge bore-fest is the fact that their emotions were almost always summarized in a fleeting sentence or two, leaving me feeling nothing, and then... that's it. If you're looking for depth and complexity, this is not the book for you.

Problem #3: Horrible writing

The writing leaves so much to be desired. The prose and narration are very simple and easy to read, but to be honest, the whole thing still felt like a big struggle to me. It tells us this, it tells us that, but it shows ab-so-lute-ly nothing. It reads like a whole summary, and you get a feeling that a lot of things have been skipped. I thought there were some internal narration in the first few pages, but as you go on, it eventually decreases and then gradually becomes non-existent. The multiple POVs here don't really give us better angles and views of the story - they simply made the whole book a scattered mess. The romance between the two main characters also felt so forced and unnatural as hell, using the wrong adjectives and adverbs (lol what the hell was their love scene????!!!!!) to describe some events.

I really don't recommend this. At all. And I'm really sorry for that because I was super looking forward to this book, because the synopsis made me pumped up with excitement. Alas, it was just not meant to be.

For a better review of this book, check out Christina's review HERE.

Check out my other reviews over at The Social Potato!
The Social Potato Reviews