thesocialpotato

The Social Potato Reviews

Reviews, news, and giveaways. Blog is http://thesocialpotato.maryfaye.net

Infinite
Sarah Aronson
Countdown
Michelle Rowen
And Then I Found You - Patti Callahan Henry
If you know me, I rarely go out of the Young Adult genre. I've read some hard core science fiction, a few epic/high fantasies, and some literary works for school, and some philosophy books like Foucault's Discipline and Punish (which is TOTALLY good, by the way). You may be muttering, "That's actually a lot..." and you're right, it is a fair number, but if I can avoid it, I will. But I make exemptions. Especially when I can totally feel in my gut that the novel in question will blow me away.

And Then I Found You by Patti Callahan Henry did. And I loved every minute of it.

You can say this is my first non-young adult contemporary chick lit, and I am thankful that my first experience was an overall amazing one. This book is full of themes that I love reading about: friendship, love, family, heartache, and finding oneself. It didn't just immerse me in the main character's journey of calming the demons and conflicts within, it also made me learn from them, too - life lessons that will surely help me as I trudge on with life. Unfortunately, not all books are like this, as a lot of them serve as mere mindless entertainment and nothing else, so I am sincerely thankful that there are gems like this one with the capability to impart helpful values to me. It is both a beautiful and heart-breaking story, but the ending is full of hope and love.

The voice, narration, and the overall prose was elegant, powerful, and personal. It's the kind that will immediately suck you in and won't let you go. The plot is equally compelling and intense, sending you towards a tornado of emotions, making you want to continue on reading. In order to give us a clearer view of the events that transpired in the past, we are given flashbacks and several backstories. I'm not really fond of this style, but the author was able to make it work, and even made me look forward to each and every one of them, be it past or present. It never felt cluttered, or forced, or rushed. It's a smooth ride all the way from beginning to end.

Overall, there is really not much to say, except that this book is a gem. If you want to read something out of the young adult genre, but still full of values and lessons and emotions, then give this book a chance. It is a powerful, resilient, well-written novel that will make you smile, laugh, and feel happy and warm inside. Don't miss out!