thesocialpotato

The Social Potato Reviews

Reviews, news, and giveaways. Blog is http://thesocialpotato.maryfaye.net

Infinite
Believe
Sarah Aronson
Countdown
Michelle Rowen
Extremities: Stories of Death, Murder, and Revenge - David Lubar Disclaimer: An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my thoughts in any way.

I love reading horror. Ever since I was a wee kid, I've been watching Japanese horror films like The Grudge, The Ring, and One Miss Call. Asian films of this genre scare the shit crap out of me, and I relish the feeling! This love was strengthened even more when I read R.L. Stine's Goosebumps books, encountering monsters, paranormal creatures, and creepy circumstances that have never once crossed my imagination. So there's really no wonder why I quickly pushed the REQUEST button when I saw EXTREMITIES. Stories of Death, Murder and Revenge? Dude, count me in!

So, I just finished this. Verdict? Enjoyable. I'm a bit torn between 3.5 and 4, so let's leave it at that. Even though the stories are very, very short — some of them only 3 pages long — they pack a lot of punch. I really appreciate that not all of them end in a gore-y and tragic manner, in which the hero finds himself a victim of his own curiosity, as quite a good number of them have a happy and satisfying end after a gruesome adventure with the unknown. I'd definitely read more from the author. His straightforward way of narrating is pretty neat and effective in setting up a looming atmosphere.

This book reminds me of the manga called Screaming Lessons. They're episodic, too, and each chapter tells of a creepy story, but most of the time, the hero/heroine ends up not having the last laugh.