thesocialpotato

The Social Potato Reviews

Reviews, news, and giveaways. Blog is http://thesocialpotato.maryfaye.net

Infinite
Believe
Sarah Aronson
Countdown
Michelle Rowen
Chocolate-Covered Baloney - K.D. McCrite Boy, oh boy! Good gravy!

This book was a very pleasant surprise. I requested this one day on NetGalley after seeing its ultra cute cover, and kind of forgot about it in the end. I was thinking it must be some boring Middle Grade book for tweens, talking about junior school evil teachers, hot classmates, and vile cheerleaders. I'm twenty now; I'm so over that phase. I didn't want to read all about those again, so this title kinda just... sat there. Then one day, I was looking for a light-hearted read, especially after that "disaster" with The Eternity Cure, and saw this one. I was sure it was going to be a disaster again, but I trudged on anyway. Boy, oh boy! Was I wrong on that one!

Right now I'm only wishing that I read it sooner. What I thought was a boring read turned out to be extremely light-hearted, with lots of humor and tween wit, with juuuust a little drama on the top to spice things up - resulting to a fulfilling experience that would leave you giggling and clutching a couple of tissues. Man, that was fun!

There were a lot to like in this book. First and foremost, the internal narration was bloody fantastic. We see the story in the point-of-view of April Grace, a young girl who hates change the most. Her voice was very effective and genuine, and it really felt like I was reading from a tween! Her gestures, her words and dialogue, even her reactions - from petty annoyance when snotty sisters get in the picture and irritation when best friends don't take your side to amazement and awe at the simplest of things - felt very, very real and endearing. This is what I appreciated the most, because there's nothing in it that tried to be "mature" or anything of that sort. It's a tell it like it is stuff.

Because of this, it allowed a lot of room for character development and growth, which is one of the best things ever to read in a book! April Grace is easily irritable and judgemental, which is common nowadays (and I bet you used to be one, too, a long time ago :>), and this attitude problems of hers eventually become worse as new things and events enter her life. But of course, like any other feel-good story, she realizes her mistakes, learns to listen to other people, and gives other people second chances.

Boy, oh boy! This book has a lot of moral values to learn from, and I reckon others will appreciate it, too. The stuff you learn from tweens ;)

All in all, this is a feel-good book. I'm happy to have read it when I was a bit pissed off and ranty, because I finished with a big smile on my face and a more positive outlook in life. Thank you!

An ARC was provided by the publisher via Netgalley for reviewing purposes. No money or any form of transaction was exchanged.

Read my other reviews at The Social Potato!
The Social Potato Reviews