thesocialpotato

The Social Potato Reviews

Reviews, news, and giveaways. Blog is http://thesocialpotato.maryfaye.net

Infinite
Sarah Aronson
Countdown
Michelle Rowen
Fire with Fire - Siobhan Vivian, Jenny Han

An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review. This did not alter or influence my thoughts in any way.

Disclaimer: If you haven't read Book 1, be cautious as this review may have some spoilers.

Now that that's done with...

GOOD LORD SWEET BABY JESUS. THIS BOOK WAS SIZZLING, I TELL YOU! SIZZLING GOOD!

Honestly, I'm not coherent right now. My feelings are all over the place and I don't think I'll be able to keep myself from gushing how madafracking awesome this book was and how it made me all cray cray. I'm still going back to certain chapters just to read and experience the heart-pounding and heart-melting scenes again, so full of held-back emotions that are just threatening to overflow. Hell, I'm actually reading those chapters right now and I'm feeling butterflies in my stomach. GUUH. If you thought Burn for Burn was good, dude, you're in for a mad ride with book 2 'cause this instalment was insanely better.

I don't know if y'all are aware of it, but I hate bad boys. I get grouchy like a cat whenever I encounter a handsome but bad/rebellious/arrogant guy in YA fiction and the heroine falls for him. I would always scratch my head and wonder what the hell could she be thinking? But this book... this book made me fall for bad boy, arrogant and cocky jock Reeve... isn't that just weird and astounding?! I hated him in Book 1, hated what he did to Mary and all the sneers and jeers he gave to everyone... I was so happy when he got what he deserved at the end of Burn for Burn because... well... he's a dick. Period. No question about it. But here? Oh my, ooh lala! My heart softened and melted like delicious peanut butter. NO JOKE.

So how did I transform from a Reeve hater to a Reeve fangirl? Let me tell you. Fire with Fire starts where Burn for Burn finished. Everything has pretty much ended for Reeve, but he's determined to get back to the sport he loves so much. Rennie starts hatin' on Lillia, and Lillia is clueless why the former has given her the cold shoulder — to the point of ignoring her mere existence. Kat can't wait to get out of Jar Island but is still conflicted with her feelings for Alex, and Mary still feels what they did to Reeve just wasn't enough. Then we find out Reeve has feelings for Lillia, and the trio has decided to give him the best punishment yet... make him fall in love with Lillia more and then crush his heart after.

To tell you the truth, I wasn't exactly happy with this premise. I didn't think it was as strong as the first one. And really, 518 pages on that alone?! I was wary, definitely. But damn... I need to be more trustful because this book fricking hit the nail on the head! The journey was fantastic! I learned to love Reeve — all his flaws and his strong points — and even rooted for him and Lillia even though I was originally pinning her with Alex. Sure he's a dick, he's an arrogant prick, he's a jock whose life ended after that one night... but (god, kill me now, I can't believe I'm actually saying this) that's all a façade. He's a good guy inside, full of dreams and hopes, and he's kind. He's kind to Rennie, and his somewhat bad boy/conceited asshole behaviour is his way of affection towards his guy friends. And while he and Lillia was developing, I just couldn't help but feel for him and see him in a new light. Sure, at first it was fake to Lillia, but it eventually started to become real for her, too... and our knowledge of that just made their relationship so heartrending.

I was pretty much like this all that time:

Reeve and Lillia are making progress and we get to see them liking each other for real.

Me: *squeal* Aww, what a cutie-patootie!

Reeve admits to Lillia he likes her. He really does. But he has been holding it in for Alex's sake. Lillia wants to say yes not because it was part of the plan she and her two friends concocted, but because deep inside she really wants to.

Me: *squeal squeal* *heart going doki doki* Aww, what a cutie-patootie!!

Lillia breaks up with Reeve because when she displayed to everyone they were together, he punked out because they were in front of Rennie. He got Rennie home the night before, promised to come back, but didn't. Lillia was heartbroken especially since she went all out to tell everyone they were together only to be rejected like that. Reeve is sorry, he really is. Everything is just complicated. Even though Lillia doesn't want to, she breaks up with him, because since it's becoming too real, and even though this is a game to Kat and Mary, for her and Reeve, it has gone too far. It's not a game anymore.

Me: *heart pounding* *eyes threatening to cry* Awww, what a sad cutie-patootie!!! :( :( :(

Reeve and Lillia confront each other. They admit to each other they like one another despite a few resistances here and there. They kiss, and Rennie sees it and goes whacko. Rennie tries to ruin Lillia by saying Lillia drugged him last Homecoming. Reeve says he already knew, and it doesn't matter, and if Rennie ruins her again, there'll be hell to pay. They leave and make out, going all out with their held-back desires in his car in the woods.

Me: *squeal squeal squeal squeal* WHAT A FUCKING CUTIE-PATOOTIE!!!!!!! :Q_______

Yeah... that's pretty much it... hahaha.

I know, I'm only gushing about the romance. It was the highlight of the book and I think it was really written well. It made me just see the people I didn't like in a different light. But I guess the narration helped in making me feel this strongly, as the book was easy to read with very likeable voices. It's told in three POVs, three different girls, three different personalities, and they all stand out on their own. The book was very hard to put down, and I looked forward to every POV change, to see and witness the story unfold from a different pair of eyes... needless to say, it gave me quite a broader understanding of the situation.

And that ending... OMG, that ending. I think I've spoiled enough (I CAN'T HELP IT, OK?? I LOVED THE ROMANCE!! CAN I HAVE MY OWN REEVE PLEASE?! I'M ASIAN, TOO! >.<) so I won't say it, but goddamn that ending. I can't wait to see what else Han and Vivian have in store for us. Book 3 will be explosive, I tell you.

Do I recommend this? HELL YES. If you haven't read Book 1, get it now, and when September 3 comes, get this, too. Contemporary high school revenge/romance stories just can't get any better than this! <3

Final Verdict: 4.5 stars!