thesocialpotato

The Social Potato Reviews

Reviews, news, and giveaways. Blog is http://thesocialpotato.maryfaye.net

Infinite
Believe
Sarah Aronson
Countdown
Michelle Rowen
Doors - Daniel Brako Doors captivated me with its intriguing synopsis. Doors magically appearing, and are gateways to other worlds and planets in the entire universe? That sounds like a neat idea and provides a lot of room for creativity. And stories with psychologists often are fun — in a dark way — and I was totally pumped up with excitement to read this. What resulted was a pretty mediocre read.

So here we have Dr. David Druas who finds himself one day able to see and transport himself to other worlds through doors. One thing led to another, and the next thing we knew, he was a fugitive on the run, and the doors serve as his sanctuary.

To be honest, I don't really remember much from this novel... I think it was a bit too short and rushed. I loved the strange and eerie atmosphere that was present at first. I loved the new worlds that was provided, the worlds that were explored — the way they were described was vivid enough for me to imagine them, and I really liked picturing the crystal world. Everything else? Pretty mediocre.

I think it would have had a lot more depth if it stuck to certain 1-2 viewpoints only. The multiple POVs felt too over the place and I think it failed in giving a broad view of the story. I didn't feel connected enough with the characters, and their personalities were just flat. Certain deaths left me feeling empty, and even the plot with all the running around and framing felt superficial. It's really too bad that the worlds weren't given much exposure because it could've been interesting exploring all the possibilities. :/

Overall, I'm not really sure what to feel towards this novel. It was okay, not bad, but not good, either.