thesocialpotato

The Social Potato Reviews

Reviews, news, and giveaways. Blog is http://thesocialpotato.maryfaye.net

Infinite
Believe
Sarah Aronson
Countdown
Michelle Rowen
The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch It was very meh to me. I wanted to adore this one so bad - since hellooo, fanasy y'all! - but it just didn't work out as much as I would have loved to. I don't think it's the book's fault, though. The way it was written was simply not a preference of mine.

* I didn't like the disjointedness of the book. The first part was awesome, where we get to see how Locke started earning some unwanted attention, and then we find out later on it was just an interlude, and we're transported to the present where we are given chapters upon chapters upon chapters of exposition about their thieving game. And not to mention, the interludes between each chapter of the gang's past... I mean, I understood, of course, where the book was going, but I'm just someone who'd rather read something more linear.

* The descriptions of the places and surroundings were detailed and vivid, but god, were they awfully long-winded. It was just too heavy for me to take. There would be paragraphs upon paragraphs of description that just were fricking unnecessary. Did I skip a good chunk of this book? Yes, I did.

* I didn't like the dialogue. They felt contrived. It felt like watching a bunch of characters in a B-rated movie. It didn't feel genuine to me and felt more "trying hard" to be creative but failing miserably at it. How could I explain it better? It's like this character has this particular personality (one-dimensional it may be... it's still a personality) and in an effort to make this personality stand out more, you give him or her a line but unfortunately only made it cringe-worthy than anything else. I'm possibly not making any sense right now, and I wish I could provide some examples, but that's how it came across to me.

Overall, while the premise was promising, it didn't connect to me at all and I felt the writing was sloppy at best. It could and should have been edited better. I'll still read the rest of the books, though... we'll see what happens.